2020 Kwi Am Choi Scholarship Applications at the Port Moody Arts Centre
September 10, 2019 - November 17, 2019
Call for Applications
2020 Kwi Am Choi Scholarship – Port Moody Arts Centre
The Port Moody Arts Centre is now accepting proposals for the 2020 Kwi Am Choi Scholarship for emerging artists.
Established in 2007, the Kwi Am Choi Exhibition Scholarship is an annual award of $2,000 that recognizes an emerging BC artist between the ages of 18 and 30, and is designed to fund the costs of mounting a solo exhibition of their work at the Port Moody Arts Centre. This initiative provides students currently enrolled in, or recent graduates of, Fine Arts programs at recognized post-secondary institutions in Canada with the opportunity to display their work in a publicly funded gallery, receive curatorial mentorship, and network with other artists and art professionals.
About the Kwi Am Choi Scholarship Fund
The Kwi Am Choi Scholarship Fund was endowed by the family of internationally acclaimed artist Kwi Am Choi in 2007. Born in South Korea, Choi lived and worked in Port Moody, where he was an active member of the local arts community and a mentor to young artists. After graduating from the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD), Choi became known for his experimental and abstract work. In the spirit of both his experimental practice and artistic mentorship, the Kwi Am Choi endowment fund was established to provide support to emerging artists by covering the costs of mounting a solo exhibition at the Port Moody Arts Centre as an integral component of expanding their artistic careers.
- Between 18 and 30 years of age
- Enrolled in a Fine Arts program in a recognized post-secondary institution, or a recent graduate of a Fine Arts program from a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution in Canada (within 2 years of graduation)
- Considered an emerging artist. We define emerging artists as those artists in the first few years of their professional development and not currently making their entire living from their artwork
- A resident of British Columbia
Note: Current PoMoArts staff, instructors, sitting board members or their immediate family are not eligible to apply.
Use of Scholarship Funds
Scholarship funds are to be applied to the artist’s costs of mounting an exhibition to take place sometime between May and August 2020 at the Port Moody Arts Centre. These costs may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Preparation expenses for the artworks, including framing
- Transportation costs for artwork
- Advertising and marketing costs for an exhibition
- Opening reception, gallery fees, and related administrative costs
How to Apply
To view the application guidelines and submit an online application visit https://www.pomoarts.ca/kwiamchoi
Application Deadline: November 17, 2019
If you have any questions about this scholarship and exhibition opportunity, please contact Janice Cotter, Gallery Manager at email@example.com or 604-931-2008 ext 116.
The Port Moody Arts Centre is an equal opportunity provider. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or (dis)ability.
November 17, 2019