July 06, 2023 - August 10, 2023
Learn to reveal the richness of coloured pencils as a contemporary drawing medium in this six-week online course. Through a guided series of drawing assignments, you will gain a deeper understanding of coloured pencils and how they can be implemented in your art practice. Selected readings, group discussions, and thematic exercises will all lead to the production of a self-directed final project. Contemporary artists to be studied include Annie Pootoogook, Graham Little, Winnie Truong, and Ingrid Calame. Suitable for all levels.
This online course will be held via Zoom. Students will receive a link one week ahead of the start of the course.
Visit the Vancouver Island School of Art website to register online, or phone 250-380-3500.
Required for first class:
- Coloured pencils (consider buying a set, min. 12 colours)
- Pencil sharpener
- White vinyl eraser
- Kneaded eraser
- 1 sheet bristol paper (smooth or vellum, 18”x24” or similar)
- 3 found objects (ex: rocks, twigs, household items, etc.)
Other materials to be discussed:
- X-acto blade
- Blending stump
- Black drawing paper (18”x24” or similar, min. 2 sheets)
- Assorted sheets of drawing paper (22”x30” or similar size, min. 3 sheets)
- 1 yard of sheer fabric (cotton or linen)
- 2 sticks chalk pastel (your choice of colour)
- Small paint brushes (1 round, 1 flat)
- Odorless mineral spirits