May 16, 2023 - June 20, 2023
Learn how to assemble an image to maximum effect using the elements of tension, balance and pattern in this course on composition. Students will copy and analyze works from the Renaissance to Abstract Expressionism to gain mastery over the layout and planning of two-dimensional art works. Delivered through slide lectures and exercises and projects on paper using graphite, ink, chalk pastels and collage. Suitable for all levels.
Visit the Vancouver Island School of Art website to register online, or phone 250-380-3500.
- mixed-media sketchbook, minimum 9"x12"
- 8 1/2"x11" pad tracing paper
- newsprint pad, 18"×24"
- drawing pencils: HB, B, 2B, 3B, 4B
- 1 tube each black and white watercolour or gouache
- #10 round watercolour brush
- small set chalk or oil pastels
- glue stick
- paper towel
- masking tape
- black felt-tip marker
- collage papers/old magazines, especially a range of blacks, greys and whites.