Drawing: Exploration of Materials
January 09, 2024 - April 02, 2024
In this course students explore a range of both traditional and unconventional drawing materials. Through in-class drawing exercises and both collaborative and independent drawing projects – investigating a combination of continuous, reductive, value, observational, text-based, abstract, and perspective drawing – students will experience the expressive and conceptual potential of integrating drawing techniques, materials, scales, and surfaces. The course will also include demonstrations, critiques, readings, written reflections and lectures, introducing students to prominent contemporary drawing practices, and encouraging students to reconsider the definitions of drawing through diverse drawing materials and approaches. Suitable for all levels.
Visit the Vancouver Island School of Art website to register online, or phone 250-380-3500.
- Drawing pencils set of 6 (8B-2H range)
- Pitt drawing pen set of 4 pens with one brush tip (black) (or equivalent set)
- Erasers, kneaded and white/black (Sumo brand recommended)
- Conte sticks (2 black, 2 white) (additional colours / qty. optional)
- Set of compressed charcoal
- Set of assorted sizes vine (willow) charcoal
- Blender stick (optional)
- Permanent markers two sizes (fne and chisel)
- Chunghwa (or India) ink and brushes
- Chalk and oil pastels (assorted set or individual colours based on your personal choice)
- X-ACTO (precision carving craft knife stainless steel) knife with extra blades
- Snap-blade knife
- Glue sticks
- Metal ruler
- 9 x 12” Hard bound sketchbook (or coiled)
- Assorted sheets of paper for dry and wet mediums - various sizes, thicknesses, hot / cold press
- Newsprint paper pad / cartridge paper pad
- Plastic toolbox or small luggage case for material storage & transport (optional)
Additional unconventional drawing materials will be discussed after the first class (dependent on students’ personal preference / chosen direction for assignments).