INTRODUCTION TO ABSTRACTION: MIXED MEDIA WITH NICOLA MORGAN
May 20, 2023 - May 21, 2023
An exploration into different mediums, mark making, and materials with the aim to ignore that inner critic and give way to unknown and thus further understand the elements of abstraction. As a result, participants will be encouraged to let go of expectations and embrace the unknown.
- To discover one’s own inner voice and visual language
- To find the magic within the process
- To silence the inner judge
Making art for me is an essential part of who I am and how I interact in the world. At an early age I recognized the importance of artistic expression. Whether through painting, drawing, writing or even music, creativity helped to define who I was and still am today. The process of making art is as personal as it is mysterious.
I work with colour, value and form in various mediums. Reoccurring images, shapes and symbols emerge often in my work. The origin of this personal visual language is a mystery. However, it is essential to trust the process. This in turn helps in the unfolding of new ideas. An unexpected is simply an opportunity for the next experience.
I have worked as an exhibiting artist, educator, children’s book writer/ illustrator and community art advocate. As a board member on the North Vancouver Public Art Committee as well as chairing the Funds for the Arts on the North Shore, I believe that art plays an important part in a healthy community.
Note: items should not be left overnight in the room at the time of the workshop. We are not assured that the room is secure.
There is a cafeteria in the West Van Seniors Activity Center building that should be open on Saturday and Sunday from 10am-2pm. We also welcome you to bring goodies to share if you are so inclined - no obligation. We strive to have a friendly, inclusive, and sharing environment at our workshops!
Parking: day passes are available for the seniors' centre parking lot for those participating in programs over 4 hours. The SAC front desk will administer parking passes that allow you to park beyond the limit. Return them to the desk at the end of the day.
Address: West Vancouver Seniors' Centre, Arts Studio: 695 21st St, West Vancouver, BC V7V 4A7
- 4 - 6 wooden panels 10” x 10” or larger,, ( pre gessoed )
- 1 12” x12 wooden panel (pre gessoed ),
- 1 pad of heavy mixed media paper , large
- Pallet paper , tissue paper, rice paper, old paintings on paper that can be repurposed.
Paints and mediums:
- Acrylic paints, White, Black and 5-10 of your favorite colours. Be Brave!...Perhaps even bring colours that you wouldn't normally work with! Try to bring a few transparent options. Indian yellow, Quinacridones,
- Pencils, Chalk, pastels, ink, gouache…Bring whatever you have , the skies the limit.
MEDIUMS:, mat or semi gloss gel mediums , Good paper glue ( YES brand is very good.) Even glue sticks.
Tools, Various brushes, not expensive. Bamboo Sticks, Brayer, pallet knife. Bowl Scrapers. Gelli printing plates… Again, be inventive.
Other Helpful stuff , blue or green painters tape , scissors, exacto knife, Various textures, paper towels, spray bottle, stencils
BE CREATIVE. Magazines, old photographs. Gold leaf. AND DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR IMAGINATION AND AN OPEN MIND
- An easel and covering to protect the table