Painting: Idea to Realization
September 21, 2022 - December 14, 2022
This course focuses on the process of working from an idea to a finished painting. Students start with notes and sketches or other source material such as photographs or previous work, and learn some methods to transform their initial ideas into a meaningful painting. Students will develop a few paintings throughout the course with the last session being an in-depth critique of the process. Prerequisite: Painting: Introduction I & II or previous painting experience.
Wednesdays 6pm – 9pm, Sep 21 – Dec 14 In-person
Items required for the first class:
- pencils, charcoal, erasers and other drawing-related materials (ink, conté, etc)
- three samples of recently completed previous paintings
- notebook (any size)
Materials will be discussed during the first class, this is a general overview of what you should expect to bring:
- oil or acrylic paints: a good selection of colours, at least two of each of the primary colours (a warm and cool of each), burnt sienna, yellow ochre, black, and large tube of white.
- brushes: a range of brushes from small to large
- odourless mineral spirits in a sealed jar or container (for oil)
- palette to mix paint on
- palette knife
- surfaces: stretched canvas, gessoed cradled panels, gessoed found wood