Federation of Canadian Artists – Playing with Abstraction in Mixed Media Still Life with Linda Bell, SFCA
March 18, 2023 - March 19, 2023
Saturday and Sunday, March 18th-19th, 2023
10.00 AM – 4.00 PM
Federation Academy 1310 Johnston St, Vancouver, BC V6H 3S1
This workshop is suitable for artists who are comfortable and familiar with acrylics and who are excited about moving towards abstraction and playing with a variety of materials. Artists will be encouraged to experiment and not put pressure on themselves to produce finished paintings but to enjoy the process while learning from others and reflecting on what is meaningful to them as an artist.
The objectives of the workshop are that students will:
- Experiment with materials, tools and techniques that lend themselves to doing abstracted works
- Learn how to use the elements and principles of design as a framework in thinking about abstraction.
- Explore who they are as artists and how that can be helpful in developing their own visual voice.
Demonstrations by the instructor will be interspersed throughout out the workshop followed by time for the participants to practice and ask questions. Abstract paintings by a variety of artists will be used to illustrate particular techniques that students may wish to try out in their own paintings. Group discussion will occur for short periods providing an opportunity for individuals to share with others should they choose to do so.
Two Day Workshop Outline:
- Introductions and guided group discussion about you as an artist and your goals. (See Homework sheet for questions for you to consider prior to the workshop)
- What is meant by abstract paintings and abstraction.
- Overview and demonstration of some materials, tools and techniques. Glazing, veiling and “scraping”, and using collage papers and mark making will be shown. Making your own collage papers will be touched on but not demonstrated.
- Overview of elements, principles of design and composition.
- Identification and discussion of some commonly used abstraction techniques (such as exaggeration, flattening, and combining representational image with non objective work )that can serve as a jumping off point for moving into abstraction.
- Finding out what you love and analyzing your preferences, using the elements and principles of design as a framework. ( a short homework assignment will be given between the first and second day)
- Putting it all into practice.
- Wind up and feedback
About the Instructor – Linda Bell, SFCA
The majority of Linda Bell’s paintings are abstract in style ranging from abstracted figures, flowers and still life to non objective works. Bold colours, the use of line, distorted shapes and a bit of whimsy are evident in many of her paintings. Linda loves the fun and freedom of playing with mixed media and exploring ways to create pieces that are unique.
Linda is an award winning Canadian artist. Her paintings can be found in private collections across Canada and the USA. Some of her work also appears in TV series, advertisements and movie productions filmed in British Columbia. She was awarded signature status (SFCA) with the Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) in 2022 and achieved signature status with the International Society of Acrylic Painters (ISAP) in 2017. Several of her works have appeared in publications including Incite 3, The Best of Mixed Media published in 2015 and in AcrylicWorks 4, Captivating Color published 2017.
Please register at: https://federationacademy.ca/mixed-media-still-life
Or call the office at 604-681-2744 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org