SIMPLIFYING THE LANDSCAPE with Ann Willsie
November 18, 2023 - November 19, 2023
$287.50 (non member fee)
THE SIMPLEST DESIGNS MAKE THE BEST PAINTINGS
This workshop is designed for all levels – all mediums welcome. Ann will be working in oils
This workshop will focus on composition, structure and design of your landscape. Before a painting is even begun, decisions have to be made about the overall design. Some of these decisions include:
- Focal Points/Planes – what is my painting about?
- Shapes and Lines
- Design Principles –
- Use of values
- Colour harmony – limited palette
This course will focus on buiding a successful painting from scratch. I will be guiding you through doing thumbnail sketches, deciding on the best composition for the painting, laying in the underpainting; looking for the big shapes, patterns and values.
Each morning will start with a brief discussion of the subject matters, followed by exercises designed to help you to grasp the concepts we have talked about. This will be followed by a short demo.
- DAY 1 – The first day I will bring a simple landscape photo for everyone to follow along with .
- DAY 2 – you will be doing a painting from your own reference photos. I will be helping everyone decide which photos would work best for a successful painting before you start.
Note: items should not be left overnight in the room at the time of the workshop. We are not assured that the room is secure.
There is a cafeteria in the West Van Seniors Activity Center building that should be open on Saturday and Sunday from 10am-2pm. We also welcome you to bring goodies to share if you are so inclined - no obligation. We strive to have a friendly, inclusive, and sharing environment at our workshops!
Parking: day passes are available for the seniors' centre parking lot for those participating in programs over 4 hours. The SAC front desk will administer parking passes that allow you to park beyond the limit. Return them to the desk at the end of the day.
If you are a NSAG member please login prior to registering for this workshop to pay the member rate Non-members select the non-member rate.
Note for non-members: If you live between Deep Cove and Bowen Island, consider becoming a member for discounted rates on our workshops, monthly free demonstrations, and the opportunity to sell your work at our shows. Check us out further at https://nsartists.ca/aboutjoin
- An easel
- A cover to protect the table
- Sketch book and pen/pencil – to take notes/sketches
- Canvas – bring three or four little canvasses or panels (9x12, 10x10, 11x14) (OR painting quality paper) for the exercises. As well, please bring one or two larger canvasses for your big paintings
- Brushes –I use mostly Short Bright Flats , a couple of Angle Brushes and a couple of small filberts - please bring your favorite
- Palette for paints – you can use the strip off paper ones, plastic, wood, or staywet for acrylic
- Paper towels for cleanup;
- Paint - this is a suggestion only – my palette: (oil paints)
- Titanium White
- Transparent Red Oxide
- Cadmium Red Light
- Cadmium Orange
- Alizaron Crimson
- Cobalt Blue
- Ultramarine Blue
- Cadmium Yellow Medium
- CadmiumYellow Light
- Violet Medium
- Bucket for water (acrylics)
- Jar with Low Odour Mineral Spirits if you are painting oils
- Apron (if you need it )
- For the exercises and the first day of painting, I will be providing photo references. For the 2nd day of painting, please bring some reference photos of your own that you would like to paint.