Federation of Canadian Artists – Studio Mentorship Program with Andrew McDermott, SFCA
March 17, 2023 - May 26, 2023
Friday, every two weeks (6 sessions)
Starting Friday, March 17th – May 26th, 2023
10.00 AM – 2.00 PM (access to space 9.30 – 5.00PM)
Federation Academy on Granville Island
Suitable for beginner/intermediate students.
FCA Studio Mentorships
Studio mentorships are your opportunity to work with a professional artist in the Federation Academy on Granville Island. You’ll meet with Andrew every two weeks throughout March, April and May to work on your paintings, ask questions and further develop your practice.
Invest in yourself and commit to two days per month, and see how your artwork and techniques improve. For artists without their own studio, this is a great way to access a creative space, tailor made for art-making. In addition to 4hrs of mentoring artists will receive an extra 3hrs of access to our classroom space to work on their paintings and communicate with their peers.
With plenty of demonstrations, one-on-one teaching and lively discussion, this mentorship is limited to twelve registrants.
Benefits of Studio Mentorship
- Bi-weekly check-ins with a Signature FCA Artist
- Ask questions and receive answers in real-time
- Meet new artists and learn from their feedback
- Encourage accountability in your practice
- Great way to schedule time for your development
- Celebrate victories and challenges you’ve overcome
- Share your current challenges and learn from your peers and mentor about how to move forward
- Put your learning into action with assignments
- Receive access to a space tailor made for art-making
6 In-Person Sessions
We start this mentorship program with an evaluation of your current status, as well as an introduction to everyone in the group. Andrew will discuss short and long term goals with you, which will define next steps on your artistic journey.
Each consecutive session will be built out based on where everyone is in their work and what their personal ambitions are for attending this mentorship program. Over this 3 month program you will takeaway practical ways to improve and develop your paintings.
About the Instructor – Andrew McDermott
Andrew is the past President and a senior member of the Federation of Canadian Artists. Andrew was born in Bolton, England and moved to Canada at a young age. Upon College graduation in Graphic Design and Illustration, he studied and further refined his own unique style, winning top awards in both Canada and the US. His personal favorite is the Master Circle Medallion for the International Association of Pastel Societies, presented in New Mexico in 2013. Having many published articles, included The Artist magazine 25 under 40. Andrew has also had full feature articles in top art magazines such as International Artist, The Artist UK, Magazin’art, and the Pastel Journal. Andrew is a popular workshop Instructor and gives demos and lessons at many educational facilities, he is a life/figure drawing Instructor for the Illustration department at Capilano University, Langara College, and for the 3D Animation department at the Vancouver Film school.
- “Andrew is a great instructor, very generous in sharing with us his knowledge. I learned a lot from him.”
- “Andrew’s a pro and he doesn’t pull punches (which I like) yet he isn’t rapier which would crush a struggling artist!”
- “Excellent teacher, organized, good time management, very encouraging! Loved it!”
- “This is the best workshop I have ever taken! Andrew is so organized and so generous with his knowledge. We were all very excited! Thank you!”
- “Andrew McDermott is an excellent, supportive instructor”.
Please register at: https://federationacademy.ca/studio-mentorship-andrew
Or call the office at 604-681-2744 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org