Dene Croft: The Contemporary Portrait – Master Techniques in 21st Century Portraiture
January 20, 2024 - January 21, 2024
The Contemporary Portrait – Master Techniques in 21st Century Portraiture: A two-day workshop with Dene Croft exploring the methods and master techniques employed in building portraits and figure studies in oil and acrylic.
This workshop deals principally with grisaille and underpainting – building the tonal values before building the palette and mixing flesh tones, the importance of under-paint – full instruction and demonstrations on building your portrait from the underpaint or Grisaille, to the finished piece (lots of hand holding – nobody gets left behind!) adding elements of abstraction to create mood and ambiance.
We will be covering topics from lighting and shooting your subjects, the importance of pre-studies, composition and preparing your canvas, incorporating other mediums into your portrait, mixing colour, setting up palette, Grisaille and other master techniques. We will also cover a little art history and discuss the “rogues gallery” of history’s portrait painters…a bit of a whos-who; an in-depth look at what they really got up to in their studios; their relationships with apprentices and popes, and the many and varied cheats, tricks and techniques that they employed in their painting.
- NSAG Member Cost: CAN$195.00
- Non NSAG Member Cost: CAN$243.75
Note for non-members: If you live between Deep Cove and Bowen Island, consider becoming a member for discounted rates on our workshops, monthly free demonstrations, and the opportunity to sell your work at our shows. Check us out further at https://nsartists.ca/aboutjoin
Payment confirms your registration and participation in the workshop. If you do not receive an email confirmation within an hour of paying please check your junk mail/spam folder, and if you do not see a confirmation email contact the guild immediately at email@example.com.
If you are unable to attend a workshop, refunds are not issued, but you may find another person to take your place.
If the workshop is full and there is a willing replacement on the waitlist, a refund will be issued. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
No refunds will be issued within 24 hours of the workshop start time. NSAG reserves the right to cancel the course.
In terms of a supply list, you very likely have all that you will need. It will be helpful (but not essential) to bring the following:
- Titanium white, burnt umber, yellow ochre, raw sienna, black(any), cadmium orange hue, cadmium red, alizarin crimson or quin red, a couple of blues - ultramarine and phthalo or Prussian
- a couple of small scrappy practice canvases
- one or two 11x14 or 12x16 - whatever your preference - but nothing larger than 12x16
- palette pad
- brushes, paper towels etc, etc.
- we have lots of easels here - so no easel required
- a couple of photo reference portrait images - 8x10 on photo paper- bring your tablet if you wish, but you WILL need a good printed photo reference. More on that later . .