The Elements of Colour with Jennifer Pickering
May 01, 2022
Levels: Beginner – Intermediate
Would you like to see colour through an artist’s eyes? Or are you an artist looking to ignite your creativity in a collaborative environment? Join our colour and painting workshop and prepare for a process of discovery, inspiration and connection.
Workshop will be en plein air weather permitting.
- Engage in creative experiments and activities
- Change how you see and process colour
- Explore colour in the work of other artists
- Deepen self-awareness by reflecting on your experiences
Are you struggling to make time to dedicate to your art? Or are you looking to develop new skills and connect with other people around a common interest? Whether you prefer to work with lots of structure or explore more independently, be prepared to get excited about colour!
You will know:
- Successive contrast
- Complementary contrast
- Light/dark colour contrast
- Warm/cool colour contrast
- Colour unity
You will be able to:
- Engage others by composing
- Reproduce mid-value hues as well as tints, tones and shades
- Understand relationships between hues
Jennifer Pickering is an artist born in Switzerland, raised in Vernon BC and living in West Vancouver. In her work, she paints, draws and creates installations that explore complex systems of information exchange. Her works have been exhibited in Finland, Argentina, Mexico, Abu Dhabi, the USA, Canada, Spain and France.
Pickering is a Masters of Fine Arts graduate from UBC and studied at the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux Arts in Paris. She taught painting and foundation studies at UBC for two years after which she spent 5 years as the Artistic and Administrative Director of the Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art.
Pickering recently returned to BC following 6 years teaching art in Abu Dhabi and Riyadh. She is the owner and principal artist at Crush of Colour: Wall Art and Design.
- round brush (allegro round 4)
- flat brush-optional (allegro ¼ inch)
- container for water, spray bottle, paint pallette, palette knife
- 1 canvas or other primed painting support 11 x 14 inches (opus slim canvas)
- Acrylic Paint: cadmium yellow medium, cobalt blue, cadmium red medium, titanium white and paynes grey
- hansa orange (opus cadmium orange)
- yellow orange azo (opus hansa yellow deep)
- quinacridone magenta
- ultramarine blue
- phthalo blue
- permanent green
- chromium oxide green
- dioxazine violet (opus permanent violet)
- primary cyan